Digital piracy can costs millions to global enterprises - one in four software programs in the United States is unlicensed*.
If you are in the entertainment or software business, this type of online piracy can amount to a great loss of revenues and online ROI. Digital piracy also affects the film, TV, music, e-booksindustries and other types of online media markets that consumers normally pay a subscription or download fee for.
Digital piracy takes many different forms:
- End user piracy – reproducing copies of media or software for distribution without prior authorization
- Internet piracy – selling (or making available) licensed media or software on peer-to-peer networks, Internet auctions, or pirate websites
- Counterfeit software – duplicating software, packaging the items as legitimate brands and selling the products
- Client server overload – purchasing a single user license for a piece of software (or licensed content), and then allowing several people to access the content or program
- Hard disk loading – selling computers with software that has been illegally pre-loaded
NetNames anti-piracy monitoring and enforcement services include the following:
- Bespoke consultancy aimed at understanding, uncovering and providing strategic advice on online piracy issues affecting your company
- Automated monitoring of titles and content across major peer-to-peer networks and the Internet
- Detailed investigations of websites, individuals and organizations – and the digital piracy revenues they generate
- Take-down services and enforcement action against pirate websites
NetNames also provides world-class piracy intelligence including:
- Piracy research and analysis covering areas of concern for your company, as well as relevant industry trends
- A highly valued digital piracy intelligence and analysis service called ‘Scrutiny’, backed up with a secure members’ website, RSS feeds and interactive query facilities
- Our industry recognized digital piracy experts can also stand as expert witnesses in piracy litigation
This is a free snapshot audit of where your brand is being infringed online.
The report is offered by NetNames at no cost for qualifying brands.
To find out how NetNames can assist you in beating online piracy, please contact us.
*Sources: BSA (Business Software Alliance), NetNames Brand Protection team (image)